Following the 2014 Olympics took place in Sochi, Russia, a major initiative for the AFP has been the athlete development pathway. Since the Games took place, we have made steps in the right direction, but felt we could do more to provide significant sanctioning value to grassroots level events across the world.
As a result of this, we’re excited to announce a new initiative that will bring more value to Bronze-level event organizers, judges, and most importantly, the athletes who compete in them. How? By making it easier for event organizers to secure sanctioning, for judges to receive AFP certification, and for athletes to obtain AFP Membership. Please see the 2016 Bronze-level sanctioning policies outlined below…
• No Bronze-Level Sanctioning Fee: All bronze level events that utilize the AFP’s registration platform at www.afpworldtour.com/eventsanctioning will have their sanctioning fee waived.
• Discounted AFP Junior Membership: Athletes competing in Bronze-level events can ?purchase a discounted AFP Junior Membership during the registration process.
• AFP Junior Rankings: New for the 2015/20116 season, the AFP will launch a Junior Ranking system. All AFP registered athletes 18 & under will be included in the junior rankings (stay tuned to afpworldtour.com for more information on the Junior Rankings later this week).
• Online Judging Certification: Last season we proudly launched www.afpjudges.com, which educates and certifies freeskiing’s judges via an easy-to-access online platform.
• Increased Bronze-Level Competition Opportunities: Increasing the opportunities available for young athletes will, in turn, increase the number of competitors that enter and participate in our growing sport. By making Bronze-level sanctioning free, we are encouraging event organizers to get involved.
• Create Excitement Among Young Athletes: For the first time ever, young freeskiing athletes can watch their ranking rise in a measurable fashion through the AFP Junior Rankings. Unlike the Pro Rankings, where a Bronze-level athlete’s movement can be seen as insignificant, the Junior Rankings provide a stage for up-and-coming athletes to watch their level of performance and results in comparison with similar athletes.
• Easy & Painless Sanctioning For Event Organizers: Not only will the AFP take the hassle of athlete registration off the shoulders of event organizers, but we will do so while increasing the value delivered back to the event. With the AFP handling registration, we can guarantee a high volume of AFP members, thereby legitimizing event results and the associated rankings.